Tata Building India School Essay Competition
|Tweet Pin It Share|
Areas of Study :
Topic on Nation Building
Scholarship Funded by :
Tata group of companies
Provided to :
Indian Students of classes 6-12
Tata Building India School Essay Competition is India's largest school essay writing competition organised by Tata group of companies to motivate and nurture young minds across India. The essay competition provides a unique platform to encourage young leaders of tomorrow to showcase their expressions in writing, on a host of subjects related to nation building. Started in 2006, this national level contest is conducted annually in different languages across the cities of India. The idea of the competition has been very well received by both the students and the teaching fraternity reflected by the overwhelming response from participating schools and students. The competition would be conducted across 180 cities, 7000+ schools and will cover approximately 3.5 million students.
Structure of Essay Competition
The essay competition is a two-phase activity across all the participating schools in the country for students of classes 6-12. The first phase consists of exposing these young minds to inspirational Tata-linked films which stimulate them to think about the nation. Following this, students are asked few questions based on the films shown.
To ensure a level playing field, the students are divided into 2 participating categories across all languages.
- Junior level for classes 6-8 and
- Senior level for classes 9-12
Each year a different topic on the theme of nation-building is selected and participants are required to submit an essay between 500-600 words. The underlying theme of the topic is always nation building. The topics are carefully chosen for students to be creative, insightful and genuine.
Rewards and Recognition
The winners are rewarded at each level, the school level winners are amplified at school and special functions are held to felicitate city level winners at regional level. The national level winners are felicitated in Delhi.
Prizes at the school level include certificates, medals and special Tata Building India merchandise. The city winners and the runners-up receive gifts like Digicam / Handycam / MP3 player, Certificates and trophies. The national level winners receive laptops as the grand prize.
How to Participate in Tata Building India School Essay Competition
- Tata Building India School Essay Competition is open to all schools in a particular city where this competition is being conducted.
To check the cities coverage log on to www.tatabuildingindia.com
- Students cannot participate on their own in this competition. Only schools can participate. Request for participation can be made at the official website.
- The English/ Hindi/ regional language version competition will be only conducted in schools where the medium of instruction is necessarily English/ Hindi/ regional language respectively
- There is no entry fee
- A student can participate only once from his own school. Valid Identification & contact details has to be produced in case of a request from the organizers
- The Competition (film screening & essay writing) has to be conducted only in the school during the schedule timings. Entries can be disqualified for not following the given procedure
- The essay topics are different for each year. Entry will be considered valid only if the essay is written on the given topic
- The organizers retain the right to make any changes to the event, its format, date, rules and in any matter related to this event without any prior notice
- Entry to the competition for schools is by invitation only and organizers reserve the right to accept or reject any application to registration and / or entry to the proceedings
- By entering the competition, the participants & attendees permit themselves to be photographed/ recorded by electronic, online and print media for telecast, publications & contacted by their given email ids and other display usage of the organizers
- All national/state level winners will be provided stay and return travel for the national award ceremony only from the city of victory i.e. their city of participation
- Organizers will arrange for the prize distribution for winners & runners up through their event management agency. Any loss of prizes during transit or due to any other reason would not be organizer's responsibility & hence wouldn't be liable for replacement
- Once you participate in the competition you indicate your acceptance for the format, prizes & decisions including judging of essays on school, city & national level which will final and binding
- All decision taken by the organizers will be final & binding on all issues related to Tata Building India School Essay Competition
The essays of the students are screened at 3 levels: School level, City level and National level. The essays are judged on the parameters of relevance to the topic, structure, creativity and communication of the idea.
Further, one-time, need-based special Tata Building India Scholarships will be awarded to a few students from each city based on defined criteria and other terms and conditions.
- School Level
Essays at the school level are short listed by the identified judges within the school, the school level winners are identified in both categories
- City Level
The essays of the school level winners across the schools from each city are collected and evaluated by a panel of 3 judges from the academic and the journalism fields, two winners in each category are short listed for city level recognition as winners from the respective cities.
- National Level
The city level winner's essays in both categories from each city are finally judged by an elite panel comprising of eminent people to choose the national winners. It would be of interest to note that the essay is written by the child only once and is evaluated at three levels.
Phone : 022-66657891, 66657564
Email: Contact I
November 15, 2016
Tata Building India School Essay Competition 11th edition to focus on global warming and climate change
- A unique platform to encourage young leaders of tomorrow to showcase their views on subjects related to nation building.
- Targeting nearly 4 million students across 8500 plus schools, 200 plus cities and 13 languages.
Mumbai: The Tata group has announced the launch of the 11th edition of Tata Building India School Essay Competition, considered as India’s largest school essay competition, a national level programme targeted to reach out to nearly 4 million students, from 8,500 plus schools spread across 200 plus cities. The theme for this year’s competition is ‘Global Warming and Climate Change’. To be held in 13 languages – English, Hindi, Bengali, Gujarati, Tamil, Marathi, Kannada, Oriya, Telugu, Malayalam, Punjabi, Assamese and Urdu for the first time, the competition encourages young leaders to showcase their expressions in writing on various subjects of national importance.
Started in 2006 as an English-language essay contest, the Tata Building India School Essay Competition is organised every year to motivate and nurture young minds across India and encourage them to think on the lines of nation building. The pan India platform allows the youth of the nation to express their views and suggestions on subjects of national importance. Additionally, Tata ClassEdge, A technology-enabled holistic instructional solution, will conduct the Tata Building India Essay Competition in their select partner schools. The 2016-17 competition will be conducted across the country from Jammu to Tirunelveli and Guwahati to Rajkot.
Speaking about the competition, Atul Agrawal, senior vice president - corporate affairs, group corporate communications, Tata Services, said, “With the launch of the eleventh edition of Tata Building India School Essay Competition, we are hoping to expand further the decade long engagement with the youth of the nation. It is encouraging to witness the growing number of participants every year who bring with them fresh thoughts and perspectives on issues that impact the nation and society. This year’s theme on global warming and climate change is relevant and through this platform to share ideas we hope to build on the nation-wide creativity to seed and drive a wave of positive change.”
The Tata Building India School Essay Competition 2016-17 will be a two-phase activity in participating schools. The first phase consists of screening inspirational Tata-linked films which stimulate the students to think about the nation. Followed by this, students will be asked to write an essay on a given topic based on the theme this year – global warming and climate change. To ensure a level playing field for students, the competition is conducted across two categories - junior level for classes 6-8 and senior level for classes 9-12. The essays are judged on the parameters of relevance to the topic, structure, creativity and communication of the idea, and prizes are awarded for school, city, and national level winners.
Coverage of the competition
The English edition of the competition will engage about 2,500 English-medium schools spread across 72 cities, while the Hindi edition will be conducted in 2000 schools across 58 cities in north and central India. Other regional language editions will be held in respective states, where the language is the state language, covering 300 to 500 schools for each language.
Started in 2006 with 6 cities and 100,000 students in the English language, the competition has grown manifold to become India's largest essay competition targeting to touch nearly 4 million students across 200 plus cities in 13 languages in 2016-17.
The major cities include Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Pune, Indore, Goa, Bhopal, Vadodara, Surat, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Kochi, Visakhapatnam, Puducherry (Pondicherry), Jammu, Shimla, Lucknow, Amritsar, Ajmer, Kanpur, Chandigarh, Meerut, Agra, Delhi-NCR, Jaipur, Kolkata, Jamshedpur, Darjeeling, Patna, Guwahati, Siliguri, Ranchi, Cuttack, Shillong, Jabalpur and others.
The students write the essay only once and the same will be evaluated at three levels:
- School level: At the school level essays are evaluated by judges within each school. Winning entries from each school qualify for city level evaluation.
- City level: The essays of school level winners in each city are evaluated by a panel of judges from the field of academics and journalism, among others. The best essays win city-level recognition.
- National level: The best essays from each city are finally judged by an elite panel comprising eminent people to choose the national winners in each language (regional level winners in case of regional languages).
- The winners at each level are rewarded and special functions are held to felicitate the city level winners and the national level winners. Prizes at the school level include certificates, medals and special Tata Building India merchandise. The city level winners and the runners-up receive prizes like cameras, blue tooth speakers, certificates, and trophies. The national level winners receive laptops as the grand prize.
- The crowning moment for the national winners and the runners-up is a intended visit to Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi and an interaction with a national level dignitary e.g. The Honourable President of India or the Vice President of India.
For more information, please log on to www.tatabuildingindia.com, or https://www.facebook.com/TataBuildingIndia