What are the qualities of a good research topic
ReadingCraze.com February 14, 2013Narrowing Research Problem, Research Problem, Research Writing, Steps in Research Process182,589 Views
A research is a comprehensive task and it requires great effort as a researcher on your part. The first thing that determines the success of your research is your research topic. A good research topic should have the following qualities.
- Clarity is the most important quality of any research topic. The topic should have to be clear so that others can easily understand the nature of your research. The research topic should have a single interpretation so that people cannot get distracted. The topic should have to be very clear in your mind so that you can properly undertake it. The research topic should have to be free of any ambiguity. Clarity also means that the research topic should have to be directional and it should set the whole research methadology.
- Well-defined and well-phrased research topic is a half guarantee of a successful research. Sometimes researchers phrase the research topic in such a way that it gives a double-barrelled impression. The research topic should have to be well-defined and well-phrased and it should have to be easy to understand. it should have a single meaning.
- The language of the research topic should have to be simple. You should use technical terms only when it is necessary, otherwise use simple words so that everyone can understand it. keep the ethics of writing in your mind to avoid any unethical term or sentence. Do not introduce any sort of bias directly or indirectly, willingly or unwillingly in the research problem or research topic.
- The titling of the research problem should follow the rules of titling. there are various rules of titling. You can either use a sentence case or a title case but most of the titles follow title case. Read the rules of titling titles before writing it down.
- Current importance should also be the consideration of the researcher while selecting a research topic. An obsolete topic will not be beneficial for anyone the topic should have current importance. You should also assess how much the topic will provide benefit to the field in which you are conducting the study.
THE WRITING PROCESS
Five Qualities of Good Writing
What is good writing? This is not an easy question to answer. Many very different kinds of writing are considered "good" and for many different reasons. There is no formula or program for writing well. However, there are certain qualities that most examples of good writing share. The following is a brief description of five qualities of good writing: focus, development, unity, coherence, and correctness. The qualities described here are especially important for academic and expository writing.
FIVE QUALITIES OF GOOD WRITING
|FOCUS||An essay should have a single clear central idea. Each paragraph should have a clear main point or topic sentence.|
|DEVELOPMENT||Each paragraph should support or expand the central idea of the paper. The idea of each paragraph should be explained and illustrated through examples, details, and descriptions.|
|UNITY||Every paragraph in an essay should be related to the main idea. Each paragraph should stick to its main point.|
|COHERENCE||An essay or paper should be organized logically, flow smoothly, and "stick" together. In other words, everything in the writing should make sense to a reader.|
|CORRECTNESS||A paper should be written in generally correct standard English, with complete sentences, and be relatively error-free.|
One additional quality, not part of this list, but nevertheless, very important, is creativity. The best writing carries some of the personality and individuality of its author. Follow the above guidelines, but always work to make your writing uniquely your own.